Skip to main content

Bustling about and thinking aloud

Two of the Socratic paradoxes say:
  • No one does something wrong willingly or knowingly.
  • No one desires (to be) evil.
More one thinks about it, more obvious it becomes how true these statements are.

Everyone - invariably what (s)he does - has justification behind their those actions, and trusts that to be the best course of action in good faith (in fact, one gets into trauma, if the brain fails to justify their actions).

But we do make mistakes.

Lack of data/information/knowledge, lack of expertise, lack of maturity, lack of empathy, lack of responsibility, lack of thought process the action demands, lack of a constructive mood, lack of security, lack of foresight... and for the lack of more affecting parameters on hand, I'll just let the list end here.

Having a setup of zero tolerance to mistakes circumvents achievement & innovation. Having a setup of very high tolerance of mistakes ends up becoming counter-productive. Balance is to identify mistakes & revive ASAP.

Overture

So that this post doesn't turn out to be too abstract & decipherable - I'm talking about some of the recent adversities (from mild faux pas to catastrophic calamity) which took place in Mozilla's regional & global community as direct or indirect side effects of some of my recent actions.

Vividly, I've hurt too many people in order to send my message across; and I'm sorry for that.

Also, it's always a must to put the responsibility where it belongs. I am responsible for all the things that I do, and nobody else is. It'd be quite wrong to misplace the responsibility, even if for escalating severity. Hence, I'm sorry to all the folks who were, quite inappropriately, held accountable and answerable for my mistakes.

I am quite confident to communicate my thoughts effectively; less often so, nicely. This is a skill, I think, I should no more ignore.

I could've been quick to resolve the agitation when it started brewing; just say, "I was wrong" and be done with it. But you'd know, and I'd know, that I'd have been deceptive there.

I was an opinionated, arrogant, jackass without a doubt (and I should've avoided being one), but whether I was wrong, is still worth a debate.

Funny thing is, when you're arrogant, you don't even need to be wrong. Also, one more thing that I've realized, you don't always have to be right. Sometimes it's okay not to be right or wrong. Sometimes, it's actually better not to have an opinion at all.

Offtopic

There's a restaurant next to my place. Sometimes last week, when I was having a coffee there - we were terribly annoyed by the meowing of a kitten that had fallen into the drain in front of the shop. It's half submerged into the filthy black water, so that it can't jump out of it, and is crying & walking this end to that end.

Finally when a kid (presumably a child labor of some nearby shop) rescued it - we sighed that (our & that kitten's) misery was over... but he received a lot of being-shouted-at as recognition & left the place with an awkward smile before the rewards gets physical.

Because, the place in front of the restaurant got dirty with kitten footprints & sludge.

I wasn't the guy to get the kitten off of the drain, I wasn't the one to show the kid a thumbs up to appreciate what he did, I wasn't even the one to ask the shop-owner-dude to shut up.

In fact, nobody did.

And I justified my action this way: one, the coffee was good; two, I wasn't willing to take a shower that time; and three, the shop owner wouldn't have appreciated me as much as a customer, if I had done either of those aforementioned things.

So that's that - and, no traumas for me!

Comments