ForewordFor last 2 years, I've been trying to attend FOSDEM, and yet each time found myself to be too late in the process to do anything about it. Missed the last year's Firefox OS awesomeness badly, and thus had my reminder set to wake me up when
Facts & Figures
|The Campus Map of ULB, along with the Dev-Rooms|
There were quite a few keynotes, main-tracks, and along with that 33 Dev-Rooms - that is project specific focus groups, each diving deep into their topics in separate auditoriums. The entry is walk-in, until/unless the room is full. The event in itself is free of any registration, or other charges.
Mozilla had the Dev-Room UD2.218A on Saturday, and there were 16 awesome talks in total.
You can get more details about FOSDEM from the official source.
FOSS FactionsRats, I've never missed my red-fedora so damn much... should definitely have brought it. The place is literally swarming with Red Hatters - with the literal meaning of the word literally.
Along side of that, from Mozilla, Wikimedia, Python, Perl, KDE, Gnome, ElasticSearch... to even the Tor project - who wasn't there?!? For the open source enthusiasts, it's THE place to be.
One of these days, I'll start trying to live upto that introduction.
So my idea was, to give a retrospective & a fresh new perspective on applied JS; also to ring the doorbell of "Worse is Better vs The Right Thing" and run away.
As a speaker, I've tried best to work on the problems I had. Many fixed, some still there. If you're a budding speaker as well - here's the recording, watch this - it may help you:
- I dashed around & collected goodies like there's no tomorrow.
- I often got into conversations, and talked to so many folks from different projects
- Often those chats took way more than 2 minutes, without me having urge to run away.
- I said to myself "WHOA!" quite a couple of times, for various reasons.
- I traveled in bus of Brussels, but the FOSDEM-route felt no different than that in Kolkata.
- I, along with Sayak, often gotten into Ingress dog-fights with local Resistance agents.
- I've had beers at the signature spots in Brussels - including, but not limited to - The Delirium Cafe, À la Mort Subite, Le Grand Café et al.
And of course I've taken a hell lot of pictures... check them out from my FOSDEM'14 Flickr set, or maybe just play this slideshow: